Facing More Than You Can Handle? with Miguel Sancho
“It’s OK to be scared. You’re not the first person to go through this. Be patient. Focus on what’s in front of you. Push forward. Protect your head. Hold on. And you can do this.” — Miguel Sancho
As a parent, can you wrap your mind around what it would be like to be facing the possible death of your child? How would you face what feels like more than you can handle?
In this episode, we talk with Miguel Sancho, an Emmy Award winning journalist, and executive producer of award winning documentaries and news programs. His work has been seen History Channel in 2021, 2020. His current work is “The Proof Is Out There” on The History Channel.
Miguel Sancho’s book, “More Than You Can Handle, A Rare Disease, a Family in Crisis, and the Cutting-Edge Medicine that Cured the Incurable is a page turner! His book chronicles the lives and deaths of patients and staff at the Duke University Hospital Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, where his son’s life was saved in 2016.
Listen in to hear Miguel Sancho share the harrowing experience of parenting his critically ill son, Sebastian.
Topics We Discuss:
- Chasing medical answers while their infant son Sebastian endured surgeries, treatments, medicines in his first months. Ultimately, a bone marrow transplant when his son was age 4.
- Miguel Sancho’s journey of ups and downs – through stoicism, workaholism, depression, anxiety, marital issues, and finally through meditation, discipline and faith.
- Plunging into the science and knowledge of the situation, as an ennobling exercise in optimism.
- The importance of trying and using multiple modes of healing to find the particular combination that works for you individually – therapy, mediation, medications, exercise…
- The therapeutic benefit of mindfully allowing yourself to feel your intense emotions.
- Meditation and lovingkindness or meta as coping and healing practices.
- Miguel Sancho’s wife’s program: “Five F’s” – faith, family, friends, food, fun.
Get Your Copy of “More Than You Can Handle”
You can learn more about “More Than You Can Handle” and purchase your copy at here or anywhere books are sold.
Follow Miguel Sancho on:
Support Life, Death and the Space Between:
If you’re enjoying the podcast and finding value in guest interviews, ghost stories, and the content I share, please consider supporting the show by becoming a Patreon member for as little as $5 a month at Patreon.com/DrAmyRobbins
As a member you’ll get more say in the content we cover and exclusive access to behind-the-scenes goodness!