Letting Go of Nothing with Peter Russel
“Practice not-doing, and everything will fall into place.” – Chinese philosopher Lao-tzu
Can you really, truly let go? When you hear people talk about letting go, do you wonder what that even means?
In this episode, we talk with Peter Russel, author, speaker and leading thinker on consciousness and contemporary spirituality. He earned an honors degree in theoretical physics and psychology, as well as a master’s degree in computer science at the university of Cambridge, England. He also studied meditation and Eastern philosophy in India. He has written 12 books, his latest is “Letting Go of Nothing”.
Listen in to understand how Peter Russel views letting go as leaning into and allowing vs. resisting.
Topics We Discuss:
- Tuning into the body – noticing, being curious about and exploring the sensations in your body without judging or labeling.
- How our thoughts can create the discontent in our lives.
- How the societal belief system around us reinforces our tendency to focus on what is wrong in our lives, and our subsequent want to correct them.
- Developing a practice via baby steps to step out of that habit of focusing on what is wrong.
- Ego is defined as a way of thinking which focuses on keeping you safe.
- How gaining the skill to recognize the ego when it comes up results in more contentment and recognizing the true self.
- Peter’s unique perspective of praying to the true self – the eternal sense of “I am” – vs praying to a higher power.
- Finding compassion for a difficult person in our lives heals us.
- The difference between Buddha’s life time, and the times we are living in with all the distractions of email, television, social media, etc.
Follow Peter Russel:
You can learn more about “Letting Go of Nothing” with forward by Eckhart Tolle – and purchase your copy at Peter’s website.
Support Life, Death and the Space Between:
If you’re enjoying the podcast and finding value in guest interviews, ghost stories, and the content I share, please consider supporting the show by becoming a Patreon member for as little as $5 a month at Patreon.com/DrAmyRobbins
As a member you’ll get more say in the content we cover and exclusive access to behind-the-scenes goodness!